A recent survey carried out by the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, in collaboration with British Telecoms (over a six-month period) found that happy workers were 13% more productive overall. The survey used emojis to understand how staff felt.
Factors that impacted on the workforce happiness were:-
• The Weather
• Good Pay
• Security of role
• Engagement with the business
• Enjoying a work-life balance
• Good working relationship with colleagues and management
We can’t make the sunshine, or all be fortunate enough to be in a position to ensure regular wage rises are available to staff. However, we can ensure that we establish a good working relationship with our workforce and engage them in the business.
Communication plays a key part to engaging with your workforce and building good relationships but the way we communicate is equally crucial.
So what does good communication look like:-
• Being able to listen to others is imperative in the communication process.
• Having empathy with others
• Encouragement will improve morale and appreciation in the workplace.
• Being aware of others and their emotions means being sympathetic to misfortunes…
• Body language can also impact – so think how we deliver our message
If you would like some helping to improve the happiness and wellbeing of your staff through good communication, please do not hesitate to contact me for further advice